Thursday, March 17, 2011

First time is a charm!

Welcome to my first attempt at the blogging world! Don't you all feel so honored? Actually..I'm kind of lying. I attempted a blog several years ago to no avail. Here's hoping I stick with this one! I have been an avid reader of diabetes blogs for the past few years. I am so honored to have been selected as a captain for 2010-2011 Glucomotive team. (Check it out at http://www.glucomotive.org/ You can support me while you're at it ;). Many of my wonderful teammates have blogs to chronical their journeys with Type 1 and exercise. I have been encouraged and inspired to try it out as well. My disclaimer: I am NOT a skilled writer, so don't chastise me! I am excited to share ideas and bond with people who are changing diabetes everyday.

So...here is a bit of my journey. In 2006 I was a senior in college. My life was full. Days were filled to the brim with friendships, classwork, and preparing to graduate. I noticed I was losing a bit of weight, more tired than usual, and drinking more. I attributed it to getting ready to graduate and preparing for a month long trip to Guatemala. After graduation I traveled with a group to Guatemala to work in an orphange. I spent the entire month sucking down as much liquid as possible and immediately peeing it out. After one fated meal at Taco Bell (never, I repeat, never eat Taco Bell in a third world country :) I became really ill. I attributed it to food poisning, thinking back I'm pretty sure I was looking down the slope of DKA. I came home about 20 pounds lighter and as thirsty as ever. I began a new job as a caseworker for the state foster care system. I finally saw a doctor and was told my A1C was 16.1. Unfortunately, the significance of this number was not really explained to me. I was started on 1 unit of Lantus and told to call the doctor if my blood sugar was still high. Needless to say, I talked to the doctor the next day to ask was "HI" meant on the meter;) Thankfully  I saw a great endocrinologist soon after.

Initially diabetes was difficult. My entire life changed in an instant. I remember standing at the refrigerator tossing food I thought I could never eat again. Meanwhile my roommates stood by staring at all the untouched food in the trash can, praying I wasn't about to crack! The first year was lonely. I did not know anyone else with Type 1. I felt like I needed to do something to prove that I could still live my life with diabetes. Sixteen weeks after my diagnosis I ran in a local half-marathon. Running has been vital to my diabetes management since that time. I have been able to get involved with many diabetes organizations in my community. This past January I had the greatest opportunity ever. I decided to run the Carlsbad Half Marathon with the Insulindependence team. I am so grateful I chose to participate. This organization is truly revolutionizing diabetes management. As difficult as diabetes can be sometimes, I am thankful for it. I am thankful that it has brought me to so many amazing people. I am thankful that it forces me to think about my health. It gives me a reason to run, to prove to myself I can overcome things that seem impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment